Student/Teacher walkout at South Seattle College over budget cuts set to happen all day Tuesday
A mutual faculty/student walkout at North, Central and South Seattle Colleges is planned to take place all day Tuesday April 16.
As expressed by Jeffery Campbell student government President, "The walkout is intended to illustrate the crisis faced by the community and technical colleges because of the State Legislature's failure to adequately fund programs, salaries and student support. Since 2013, the State has covered only 65% of salary increases that they have approved, forcing the colleges to cover the other 35% with tuition or other revenue (if available) by taking money from reserves, or often by cutting programs, staff and services to students to reduce costs. The Seattle Colleges face up to a $2M budget shortfall next year (based on proposed salary increases alone0 with current budget proposals, and will be forced to make reductions as a result."
Campbell explains that the budget cuts might result in possible tuition increases mandated by the state, more class cuts, more program cuts, fewer resources for students on campus, and "less kempt facilities"
The walkout will take place from 8:30am to 3:00pm with a Mass Gathering at the Clocktower Plaza from 11:30am to Noon. They say activities, speakers actions and a letter campaign will be part of the event.