Electrical fire drives residents out in the Admiral District
A fire in the 3200 block of Walnut Ave SW drew a major response on Tuesday April 26 around 6:45pm. Smoke was seen billowing out of a third floor dormer style structure of a home there. The residents were driven out by the heavy smoke, including one elderly man who was taken out in a wheelchair by his family. The family cat was rescued too. There were no reported injuries. The residents of the home sought temporary refuge in a neighbor's home.
One of the residents said the fire was likely caused by an electrical issue and it was confined to the top floor. Firefighters put water on the fire and got it under control quickly. The official cause of the fire was not announced nor was the monetary amount of the damage done to the home.