Two attempted car jackings in West Seattle reported on Tuesday
Two attempted car jackings that began with staged accidents happened on Tuesday just minutes apart in West Seattle. The same white four door Lexus was reported by victims. The tactic used was the same too. The Lexus struck both victims cars from behind then, when they stopped to look at the damage, they were rushed by the perpetrators guns in hand to take their possessions and steal their cars.
The first was staged at Southwest Spokane Street and Harbor Avenue, the second happened at Harbor Avenue Southwest and California Way Southwest near Seacrest Park.
The two victims were able to drive away, managing to avert being carjacked. Others in the greater Seattle area have not been so aware or fortunate. Multiple reports have come in over the summer of this same tactic resulting the cars being stolen.
Seattle Police suggested ways to stay safe:
- Pay attention to your surroundings at all times.
- If you are leaving a parking lot, drive a lap or two around the lot to see if anyone may be following your movements. If you feel like you're being followed drive to a police station that is open 24/7, an emergency room or another high-traffic location.
- If you are hesitant to exit your vehicle after a collision, drive to a safe location while calling 911 and let dispatch know why you left the scene and where officers can meet you.
- If you are caught in a similar incident, try and memorize as much as you can about the involved vehicle, suspects, license plate and which direction the suspects fled in.
- Keep your personal belongings near you instead of in the back seat.
- Leave an Apple Air Tag or another tracking device in your car.