Twelfth Night Productions Opens Adult Auditions for Oliver!
Twelfth Night Productions will be holding adult auditions for “Oliver!” June 4th and 5th. Based on Charles Dickens' classic novel Oliver Twist, "Oliver!" Is the musical version of the story of a young orphan boy who leaves the harsh conditions of a 19th century London workhouse and eventually falls into the hands of a crafty criminal named Fagin. Fagin matches Oliver up with a young scallywag called the Artful Dodger who teaches him the art of picking pockets. With music and lyrics by Lionel Bart, "Oliver!" features beloved classics including “Food, Glorious Food,” “Where Is Love?” “Pick a Pocket or Two,” “I'd Do Anything,” “As Long as He Needs Me,” and “Consider Yourself.”
Adult (ages 17+) Auditions: June 4th, and 5th 2011 12:00-6:00pm
Callbacks will be on June 11th 2011 12:00 – 6:00pm
- Prepare a dramatic or comedic 1 or2 minute monologue and 32 bars of a standard Broadway song.
- Bring sheet music in the key you will sing it in (the accompanist will not transpose on the spot, and we do not do auditions with CD accompaniment or a cappella singing). The song and the monologue together should not last more than three minutes.
- Please bring a headshot or current photograph and resume.
- Come prepared to dance.
To schedule an audition time, please email email@example.com with Oliver! Audition in the subject line.
Rehearsal and Performance Dates:
- Rehearsals begin June 15th, 2011. Sunday thru Thursday, 7:00 – 10:00PM.
- Performances run August 5th - 21st 2011
All roles are open.
- Oliver Twist: 9-13, Boy Soprano. The protagonist of the story, he is a lonely orphan boy born in the workhouse, must have strong ability to convey real emotions.
- Fagin: 40 – 75, Baritone. A conniving career criminal, he takes in homeless boys and teaches them to pick pockets for him. He is the leader of Fagin’s gang – a band of London pickpockets and thieves, must have great character skills.
- Nancy: 18 – 40, Alto. Bill Sikes’ lover, she takes a liking to Oliver and treats him like her own child. She sings several “big” voice number and the “eleven o’clock” ballad, requires a singer/dancer/actress.
- Bill Sikes: 30 – 50, Bass/Baritone. Nancy’s brutal boyfriend.
- Artful Dodger: 12 – 17, Boy Soprano/Tenor. He is the cleverest of Fagin’s pickpockets and introduces Fagin to Oliver. This actor must have a dynamic stage presence.
- Mr. Bumble: 30 – 50, Baritone/Tenor. The parochial overseer, Mr. Bumble oversee the operations of the work house were Oliver lives as a child.
- Widow Corney: 30 – 50, Soprano. Comic role, female sidekick to Mr. Bumble.
- Bet: 15-18, Alto. Nancy’s friend, one of Fagin’s former pickpockets.
- Mr. Sowerberry: 30 – 60, Baritone. The undertaker, a classic Dickensian character tall/thin, comic song.
- Mrs. Sowerberry: 30 – 60, Soprano. Comic wife of Mr. Sowerberry.
- Mrs Bedwin: 35 – 50, Soprano. Mr Brownlow’s friendly housekeeper.
- Mr. Brownlow: 40 – 85. Oliver’s long lost relative.
- Dr Grimwig: 30-50, Doctor.
- Charley Bates: 6-16. Dodger’s sidekick and a member of Fagin’s gang.
- Noah Claypole: 13-20. Undertaker’s apprentice.
- Charlotte: 15-20. The Sowerberry’s daughter.
- Adult Ensemble: All Ages – Workers in the warehouse, thieves, London merchants, street vendors, bar keeps, policemen etc.
- Children’s ensemble: 6 – 16 – this includes members of the Workhouse, Fagin’s Gang, street vendors, etc.