West Seattle and Ballard light rail Link Extensions will need your input starting in January
Sound Transit will be opening up for public comment as they work on the Draft Environmental Impact Statement for the West Seattle and Ballard Light Rail Link Extensions. A 90 day public review and comment period will commence on Friday Jan. 28 2022. You will be able to comment online, at public meetings, by phone and by email and postal mail.
Sound Transit's web page on the project states:
- To help you prepare for the publication of the document, you can:
- Learn about the environmental review process and the topics we are studying in the Draft EIS.
- Learn about the alternatives we are studying in the Draft EIS.
- Learn about each station location and review maps showing potential station entrances and connections for people walking, rolling, biking and taking transit.
- Learn about how to comment on the Draft EIS and share your feedback.
What are the West Seattle and Ballard Link Extensions?
The West Seattle and Ballard Link Extensions will provide fast, reliable light rail connections to dense residential and job centers throughout the region. In addition, a new downtown Seattle light rail tunnel will provide capacity for the entire regional system to operate efficiently. These two separate light rail extensions are part of the regional ST3 package that voters approved funding for in November 2016.
You will have the opportunity to review and comment on the Draft EIS which is expected to be published in early 2022. Your comments on the Draft EIS will be important. Based on the Draft EIS analysis and your comments, the Sound Transit Board will confirm or modify the preferred alternative. The preferred alternative, along with the other Draft EIS alternatives, will then be included in the Final EIS, which is expected to be published in 2023. After publication of the Final EIS, the Sound Transit Board will select the project to be built.
2016 Voter Approval
- Alternatives development
- ST Board identifies preferred alternative
- Draft Environmental Impact Statement (We are here)
- Final Environmental Impact Statement
- Preliminary design
- ST Board selects projects to be built
- Federal Record of Decision
2023-2026 (West Seattle Extension) and 2023-2027 (Ballard Extension) Design
- Final design
- Procure construction contracts
- Obtain land use and construction permits
- Property acquisition / relocation
- Advanced utility relocation / early work contracts
2026-2032 (West Seattle Extension) and 2026-2037/2039* (Ballard Extension) Construction
- Ongoing conversations with property owners
- Construction updates and mitigation
- Safety Education
- Testing and preparations