White Center fire ruled as an arson; $10,000 reward offered for information
The massive fire that swept through the strip mall style building in White Center on the evening of July 4-5 has been ruled an arson.
According to the King County Sheriff's office Sgt. Tim Meyer, "New evidence came to light yesterday that caused investigators to change the ruling from accidental to arson. This is an ongoing investigation and we have no further information at this time."
The fire which originated, officials said, in the basement of the Lumberyard Bar, was originally ruled accidental. City Light had cut off power to that block and then restored it, causing the conclusion that an electrical spark had caused the fire.
It was called in around 1:41am on the morning of July 5, but even though firefighters from North Highline, Seattle and Skyway battled the blaze, it was fully engulfed. The building was built in 1917 and is owned by Chung and Do investments LLC whose address is registered in West Seattle.
A fire investigation can take anywhere from a few days up to a few months, depending on; the size of the fire, number of witnesses, loss of life or property, or suspicious activity. That may slow down any insurance claims since more needs to be known about the circumstances of the fire, owners and tenants.
The Lumberyard Bar owners posted this message on Facebook:
"This morning we came across evidence that has lead to the fire at the lumberyard being reclassified as arson. This most likely is also a hate crime.
The Lumberyard is a all inclusive space for our community and it saddens us that it would be targeted for such an act.
What these individuals did not only impacted the LGBTQI community it destroyed 7 other businesses that reflect the diversity of our neighborhood White Center. (Not so white and not so center)
All of you have been amazing with the help to rebuild our Neighborhood.
I am asking for anyone with any knowledge to contact the King County Sheriffs office @
If you have any information about the circumstances of the fire you are urged to call 1-800-55-ARSON.
could be insurance fraud? First Yarington Funeral Home, now buildings that have stood since 1917. This is not hate crime, just crime sadly happening in our area